WELCOME TO ROCK STAR GARY REFLECTIONS!
Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: April 24, 1982 (taped 4/18)
Hosted by Marc Lowrance
How will Kerry Von Erich fare against Blackie Gordman? Will the Spoiler successfully take down the behemoth King Kong Bundy? Who will make a cameo this week? Let’s find out!
Prior to the opening match, Lowrance interviews Hussein.
Not THAT Hussein!
My bad, Daisy! Keep up the great work!
Match 1: Arman Hussein versus Sal Olivares
- To stir up the Dallas faithful, Hussein performed his "camel walk."
- While hooked in a headscissors, Hussein tried to use the ropes to pin Olivares until referee David Manning noticed his shenanigans.
- Hussein then delivered a clothesline and a knee drop for a 1-count only because he pulled Olivares up.
- Upon giving Olivares a second knee drop, Hussein pulled him up again.
- He then delivered a third knee drop.
- Hussein won.
Summary: Showcase match for Hussein.
Match 2: Bugsy McGraw versus Raul Castro
- After a slam, McGraw missed an elbow drop.
- Castro then hit a pair of flying forearms but ate a shoulder block upon his third attempt.
- As McGraw tied him up in the ropes, he gave Castro the ten-top-turnbuckle count-along.
- He then slammed Castro but missed an elbow drop.
- When he hit a series of elbow drops, McGraw mounted the top turnbuckle and delivered a splash.
- McGraw won.
Summary: Showcase match for McGraw.
After a commercial break, Lowrance interviews WCCW tag team champions Al Madril and Kerry Von Erich. Not to besmirch the dead, but Kerry's interviewing skills were beyond amateur here.
Match 3 (non-title): NWA Texas champion "Wild" Bill Irwin versus Richard Blood
- While the Dallas faithful chanted "Go Richard, go," Irwin attempted a slam, but Blood fell atop him for a 1-count.
- Irwin then delivered a bicycle kick as the Dallas faithful taunted him with "Chauncey."
- As Irwin slammed Blood, he gave Blood an elbow drop for 2.
- Blood came back with a sunset flip for 2.
- When Irwin hooked a gutwrench suplex, he got 2.
- Blood then gave Irwin a knee lift and followed with a dropkick.
- After delivering a leg drop Blood got 2.
- He then hit another knee lift, but Irwin caught him with a stungun.
- As Irwin slammed Blood, Irwin hit a running knee drop.
- Irwin won.
Summary: Showcase match for Irwin.
After the match, Lowrance interviews Irwin who's proud of his successful title defenses.
Match 4 (non-title): NWA American champion the "Modern Day Warrior" Kerry Von Erich versus Blackie Gordman
- Kerry delivered a knee drop for 2.
- While the Dallas faithful chanted "we want the claw," Kerry applied the Iron claw to Gordman's midsection.
- Gordman then hooked an abdominal stretch, but Kerry hip-tossed him to escape.
- As Kerry knocked Gordman into the middle of 1983 with a discus punch, Gordman reversed a cross corner whip.
- Kerry then leaped over the charging Gordman, hooked a sunset flip, and pinned Gordman.
Summary: Showcase match for Kerry.
In a pre-recorded interview, Lowrance interviews Irwin again who will take on all comers. Next, Hussein and Bundy understand how important money is.
Match 5: The Spoiler versus King Kong Bundy (w/ Arman Hussein)
- Before ring announcer Joe Renelli introduced him, Bundy attacked Spoiler.
- Spoiler then walked the top rope from corner to corner and delivered a forearm smash.
- As Bundy gave Spoiler a cross corner whip, he came up empty on his follow-through.
- Spoiler then mounted the second turnbuckle and delivered another forearm smash.
- When Spoiler applied the claw, Bundy hooked a bear hug.
- Spoiler then dragged Bundy to the floor and made him HIT THE POLE.
- While Bundy stood on the apron trying hard to pry the mask from Spoiler, referee David Manning called for the bell.
- Spoiler won by disqualification.
Summary: More heel character establishment for Bundy.
After the match, Bundy and Spoiler brawl in the ring until officials separate them.
Lowrance then interviews Spoiler who calls Bundy a "big, fat slob" and wants a rematch.
Conclusion: I suspect that there's more to the Bundy-Spoiler confrontation than just this match. On another note, I'm glad Kerry made mincemeat out of Gordman.
Thanks, Daisy. It was great sharing this episode with you. Don't be a stranger!
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 5-1-82!
Comments? Suggestions? Send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow me on Twitter (@rockstargary202).