WELCOME TO ROCK STAR GARY REFLECTIONS!
Taped from Dallas, TX
Airdate: May 8, 1982 (taped 4/27)
Hosted by Marc Lowrance
What goes down when Kevin Von Erich and Kabuki tangle in the main event? Can Irwin survive a handicap match? Who will make a celebrity cameo this week?
Prior to the opening match, Lowrance interviews "Captain" Frank Dusek who cuts a promo on Irwin.
Will do, Pink Floyd groupie, er, Cushie.
Match 1: The Spoiler versus "Captain" Frank Dusek
- After Dusek escaped a hammerlock, Spoiler monkey-flipped him.
- He then countered a front face lock with a Boston crab, but Dusek powered out.
- When Spoiler tried to hook a sunset flip, both wrestlers were in the ropes.
- Spoiler then gave Dusek a cross corner whip resulting in a Dusek flip.
- Upon giving another cross corner whip, Spoiler received a takedown.
- Dusek then pinned Spoiler with his feet on the ropes. SNEAKY!
- Oops, referee Bronko Lubich ruled no pin because Spoiler put a foot on the bottom rope.
- Off-camera, Spoiler nailed Dusek who was arguing with Lubich.
- He then delivered an elbow drop.
- Spoiler won.
Summary: Somewhat of a showcase match for Spoiler yet Dusek played a decent wicked heel.
After the match, Dusek threw a tantrum.
Match 2 (non-title): World tag team champions Bugsy McGraw & King Kong Bundy (w/ Arman Hussein) versus Tom "Boogaloo" Shaft & Ken Mantell
- Mantell hooked a full nelson on Bundy who escaped rather easily.
- If you've never seen Ken Mantell in action, he resembled a cross between Greg Gagne and "Bullet" Bob Armstrong.
- As Bundy broke another full nelson by Mantell, Shaft tagged in.
- He then delivered a pair of head butts taking Bundy down to his knees.
- While Mantell distracted referee Bronko Lubich, Hussein tripped Shaft coming off the ropes. How dastardly!
- McGraw tagged in, and the heels made a Shaft sandwich.
- After Shaft collapsed to the mat, McGraw pinned him.
- Bundy and McGraw won.
Summary: Showcase match for the tag champs.
Um, you might want to rephrase that question, Cushie.
Lowrance interviews Gary Hart with Kabuki who promotes a newcomer to WCCW from Macau—the Dragon. He then cuts a promo on Fritz Von Erich.
Match 3: Al Madril versus Arman Hussein
- For the sake of all of us, Hussein forewent his pre-match camel walk.
- As the Dallas faithful chanted "Go Al, go," Hussein tossed Madril down to the concrete floor.
- He then joined and rammed Madril face-first into the apron.
- Back in the ring, Madril whipped Hussein into the corner but came up empty on his follow-through.
- Hussein then missed a senton splash, and Madril capitalized with a somersault rollup.
- Madril won.
Summary: Nothing much beyond a kick-and-punch affair.
After the match, Hussein attacks the celebrating Madril but retreats when he loses the advantage.
Match 4 (handicap): NWA Texas champion "Wild" Bill Irwin versus Richard Blood & Mike Bond
- Irwin gave Blood a hip toss but ate a mule kick.
- As Bond tagged in, he hooked a sunset flip for 2.
- Blood tagged in, but Irwin backdropped him for a 1-count.
- When Irwin delivered a gutwrench suplex to Blood, he got 2.
- Blood then countered a back drop attempt with a knee lift.
- After Bond tagged in, he ate a clothesline.
- Irwin then pinned him.
- As Blood came in, Irwin powerslammed him.
- He then hit the running knee drop.
- Irwin won.
Summary: Showcase match for Irwin.
I bet not, Cushie! HA!
Match 5: Kevin Von Erich (w/ Fritz Von Erich) versus Kabuki (w/ Gary Hart)
- As the Dallas faithful LOUDLY chanted "go Kevin, go," their hero hooked an arm bar on Kabuki.
- Meanwhile, Lowrance announced that Kerry Von Erich had knee surgery and will return soon.
- When Kabuki countered with his own arm bar, Kevin escaped with a dropkick.
- He then gave Kabuki a cross corner whip but ate a thrust kick on his follow-through.
- After Kabuki mounted the second turnbuckle, he delivered a flying chop.
- Shortly after, Kevin unleashed another dropkick and followed with a flying forearm.
- He then attempted the Iron claw, but Kabuki blocked it.
- As Kevin applied it to Kabuki's midsection, Kabuki escaped with an eye rake.
- While bleeding hardway, Kevin returned the favor, attempted a splash, but ate knees.
- When Kabuki hit another thrust kick, Kevin came back with a third dropkick.
- He then rammed the back of Kabuki's head into the mat and tossed him down to the concrete floor.
- After Kevin joined Kabuki on the floor, he nailed Hart.
- Fritz then took over and pounded on Hart.
- As Fritz rammed Hart face-first into the apron, Kevin hooked a leg scissors around Kabuki's waist.
- Bundy then came to ringside and rammed Fritz face-first into the apron.
- When Kabuki mounted the top turnbuckle, Kevin caught and slammed him down to the mat.
- He then noticed Bundy's pummeling of Fritz and went after him.
- After Kevin tossed Bundy in the ring and brawled with him, referee David Manning threw the match out.
- The match was ruled a double-disqualification.
Summary: Wild brawl that continued the feud between Hart and the Von Erichs.
After the match, Fritz re-enters the ring to thwart the double-team by Kabuki and Bundy.
Lowrance then interviews Kevin and Fritz who vow revenge on Kabuki.
Conclusion: The main event provided a lot of excitement making the rest of the show worth viewing. Cushie, do you have anything to add?
You got it. Thanks for being my groupie too.
TV Rating: NONE
Stay tuned for WCCW 5-15-82!
Comments? Suggestions? Send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow me on Twitter (@rockstargary202).